Thursday, August 19, 2010

The adventure of a home hair color (almost disaster) ~ Lessons learned!

You may laugh or snicker at this little adventure of mine, I did!
I also learned a few things and point out what went wrong and what I learned to do to make it right =)

Since I am living on a "Poverty Budget' ~ Only purchasing things we need, no wants right now, I am doing more and more at home beauty treatments. I like to go to the salon, who doesn't? but I can usually cover the white hair with an at home kit. I am recovering from surgery and have not been outside since June 30....that's a long time for a former beach babe like me!!! I wanted to cover the white hair and get an instant boost of feeling better about myself ~ It's important to me to look and Feel Pretty for me!

LESSON  1 ~ Always purchase the same hair color kit same brand, color, etc to keep your hair color consistant. ( I never do anything drastic, I prefer to keep my blonde tresses the same color as much as possible)
MISTAKE 1 ~ I bought a different kit that supposed to cover the stubborn white hair in 10 minutes, It was the same brand just a different color, no ammonia, etc.

LESSON 2 ~ Make sure to set aside time to color your hair by following all the directions and using a timer ~  I suggest you make sure you have an uninterrupted 45 minutes of time to yourself
MISTAKE 2 ~ I started the procedure thinking I had less time to deal with because it was a 10 minute kit right? Not so much! I had been babysitting that day and the child's mom didn't call before she headed my way so she stopped by unexpectedly to pick up her daughter. Of course we HAD to chat for moment and she could clearly see what I was in the middle of, needless to say our chatterbox selves got me in trouble and I left the stuff on too long! She offered to help me rinse it out and I could tell immediately that is was way darker than I had anticipated. I rinsed it out with HOT water and went to bed

LESSON 3  ~ If you make this hair coloring mistake, SHAMPOO your hair with a clarifying shampoo as soon as possible and do it more than once to rinse the color out of your hair as much as possible. (This probably wil not work if you are doing a drastic color change)
MISTAKE 3  ~ I went to bed that night, asked Mr. Man to pick up a hair color for me the next day after he got off work. He went to the store and tried (bless his heart) but 
came home empty handed that day and the next. SO, I am on day 3 of the hair color that I know I cannot live with for the next 6 weeks and I have a family reunion coming up soon, I need my hair to be the same beach blonde color that it always is!!

SOLUTION ~ I tend to google for answers to everything and even though it was not the best choice, I decided to use what I had at home, Head & Shoulders mixed with Dawn dish detergent. I used this solution on my head twice leaving the stuff in my hair for 30 minutes both times. I then left a deep conditioner on my hair to hopefully lessen the extra damage. It was a SUCCESS!!! My hair is still a little bit darker than it usually is this time in the summer but the stuff washed out pretty good! I am sure my friends who do hair professionally would frown on this greatly, I just did what I had to do with what I had!
Hope you enjoyed this little story and got a laugh out of it like I did.....feel free to leave me a comment
Next time I will tell you about the spray tan incident ~ Another adventure in itself =)

No comments:

Post a Comment